Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Design Fest Sculpture: Wolfie 1


So as I mentioned in a previous post, I am going to enter two pieces for Design Fest 2009 with the story Little Red Riding Hood as my theme. The first entry was the mousepad, and for the second one, I wanted to do something I've never done before, a clay sculpture.

Challenging, oh yes!

I wanted to create a sculpture of the wolf from little red riding hood, stand on all fours, and turned slightly, growling menacingly. I wanted him thin, lanky and all black, almost like a shadow creature, rather than an actual wolf, with huge horns to push that concept. Something out of your nightmares.

So, with that in mind, I purchased 10 of Air Dry Clay and got to work.














The problem with this original sculpture, was that it's legs couldn't support it's rather heavy weight. I even used two cans of beans to stick under it's belly while the legs dried. But when I removed them, he was VERY fragile.

And after a few minutes of standing completely on his own, he fell after a slight nudge...


I had to think of something else, and quick....

No comments:

Post a Comment